I started r/ethtrader 2 years ago and have helped moderate it since then. In this time I’ve had a unique position to witness how the Ethereum communities’ use of Reddit has evolved. These subs are important focal points and as much as we might hope they can be replaced, the issue of discover-ability (it is strong here) will make this a drawn out process – the Reddit subs will likely remain important for the foreseeable future. It’s therefore worth our taking the time to ensure these communities stay healthy and even explore how we might better exploit them.
Why not try to use Ethereum to improve our use of Reddit?
I’ve been working on tools to help get this effort started. Since [announcing](https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/72scaj/ethtrader_the_dappening/) this on r/ethtrader 5 months ago I have scaled back the code but widened the scope – it’s not just applicable to r/ethtrader – so it’s now called RECDAO for Reddit Ethereum Community DAO (yes, super creative). The r/recdao sub has been started as place to collaborate on development and I invite anyone to read more on the [FAQ](https://www.reddit.com/r/recdao/comments/83wdeq/faq/) there. To briefly summarise what’s been developed so far and how to participate:
1. [Pre-register](https://www.reddit.com/message/compose/?to=EthRegBot&message=!ethreg%200xANETHADDRESSHERE&subject=pre-register) a fresh ethereum address if you haven’t already (dappening/EthTrader DAO pre-reg carry over). A tiny amount of *real* ETH will be dropped in this address from [this fund](https://etherscan.io/address/0xf7927bf0230c7b0e82376ac944aeedc3ea8dfa25) when we move onto the main chain (currently running on rinkeby).
2. Wait to be included in a new registration set (voted by current DAO registrants).
3. [Register using the dapp](https://recdao.github.io). Receive REC Tokens based on your karma from the main Ethereum subs.
4. Install the [browser extension](https://github.com/RECDAO/extension/releases/tag/v0.1-alpha.1) to a) identify other registered users and b) up/downvote content with other registered users.
5. Suggest what should be worked on/improved next at r/recdao. Help develop “[Prediction markets for content curation](https://ethresear.ch/t/prediction-markets-for-content-curation-daos/1312)” that works directly within Reddit?